Modifications to the U.S. Mercedes R107 Series from 1972-1989
- What Model is Your Car? Decode Your Vin#
- Index of Production Numbers
- Production Modification Enhancements
- Chassis and Engine Specifications
- Technical Specifications
- Mercedes Paint Codes
R107 Production Modifications
|195||107 introduced to U.S.
4.5-liter, Iron-block V8 117.982. Bosch electronic fuel injection.
Power-assisted steering, air conditioning, hard and soft-tops were standard.
|1973||450SL||"||Rebadged to 450SL|
|1974||190||Addition of 5-mph bumper|
|1975||"||180||Addition of catalytic converters (in engine compartment).|
Addition of cruise control, transistorized ignition, hydraulic valve adjusters
Switch to Bosch Jetronic (CIS) fuel injection. K-Jetronic
|1977||"||"||Catalytic convertors moved downstream. Catalytic converters
moved back beneath the floor
Climate-control system introduced (Type 1)
Battery moved to trunk
|1980||"||160||3-way catalytic converter introduced, final drive ratio reduced|
|1981||380SL||155||380SL introduced. Chassis: 107.045
116 3.8 liter all-alloy V-8 116.960 V8
Electric window lifts are standard.
The hood was made of aluminum and an "economy" dial was added.
|1982||"||"||Type II auto climate control|
Recalibrated engine and transmission for improved performance and fuel economy.
|1984||"||"||Switch from single-row to twin-row timing chain.|
|1985||"||"||ABS became standard; driver-side airbag was optional.|
- 5.6-litter, all-alloy V-8 (117.967) and 4-speed transmission into U.S. market.
Limited-slip differential, front air dam, leather upholstery, anti-theft alarm are standard.
new-style 7x15in alloy wheels.
|1989||Last year of 107 production.|
R107 Production Enhancements
- The springs have a different spring rate, front and rear.
- The front stabilizer bar has a 26mm diameter instead of 25mm diameter.
- The shock absorbers are shorter and have a harder rate.
- An additional polyurethane bottoming spring has been added.
- Some model 124 front end parts are used on the front end - the following parts are redesigned
- Front axle carrier, lower and upper control arms, Steering knuckle,
- Steering knuckle arm, front wheel hub with bearing.
- The front axle carrier has a newly modified contour, can be used on older model 107s.
- Limited slip differential
- The rear axle carrier mount has been offset by 124mm to the left.
- The rear carrier front rubber mounts are not interchangeable, marked with L and R, have different stiffness's.
- The rear axle center is now elastically mounted to the rear carrier both at the front and rear mounts.
- The rear axle shafts are provided with CV joints similar to model 126 coupe.
- New light alloy wheels similar to model 201, new mounting screws.
- New propeller shaft center mount, similar to model 124, not interchangeable with older 107s.
- Four piston brake calipers on front.
- Light alloy Master cylinder.
- Double diaphragm brake booster.
- Redesigned steering gear, designation 765.707 (LS80), NOT interchangeable with old unit, reduced travel for redesigned front end. Code letter R stamped into the housing. (The 560's turning circle is not as short as previous cars, less "sensitive" steering.
- Power steering pump relief pressure changed to 82 +-5 bar.
- Sheet metal floor under fuel tank changed, mounting positions of tank and filler neck changed.
- Outside Temperature indicator changed from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
- Exterior lamp failure indicator added.
- Fuses and electrical feeds changed.
- BODY SHEET METAL CHANGES: Radiator mount changed, hood changed, firewall changed, side-member connecting point front right changed, A-pillars changed, doors changed, B-pillars changed, main floor changed, rear floor changed, cross-member under the driver seat changed, sheet metal shrouds changed, various stiffeners and small parts changed.
- Door handles changed, similar to model 126.
- Door lock and striker changed.
- Central locking system changed, electric vacuum pump similar to models 126 and 201.
- Fuel tank flap actuating element and guide bushing changed.
- Outside heated rear view mirrors.
- Rear high mounted stop lamp added.
- New Grand Prix radio - larger display indicator with tone setting and more sensitivity - three levels, but returns to least sensitive when turned off.
- Front bumper and spoiler.
- Front bumper inner fender liners added.
- Front seats changed to include lateral
- Hood- a depression was added to the hood reinforcement to clear new brake booster, previous hood will not fit on car.
SAVE BIG $$$$$$ IN REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE COSTS!!!